Meditation helps to reduce stress and improve immune system function. For people with Parkinson’s, meditation can also help with symptoms such as anxiety and depression. Ready to give it a try? Find a quiet place to relax to try this mindful meditation exercise:
1. Find a quiet and comfortable place. Sit in a chair with your feet on the floor, hands in your lap. Close your eye.
2. Focus on your breathing. Take nice full breaths in and out. Imagine filling a balloon as you inhale, and letting the air out of the balloon as you exhale.
3. Continue to focus on your breathing.
4. Your mind will wander. When it does, bring it back to your breath.
5. If you find yourself getting carried away in your thoughts, observe where your mind is wandering to, without judging. Remember not to be hard on yourself if this happens.Return to focusing on your breathing.
6. When you are ready to come out of the meditation, remind yourself where you are and feel where you are sitting. Slowly bring yourself back to the room.